Saturday, August 8, 2015

Laney McMann

Interview with The Fire Born Trilogy Author, Laney McMann.

First of all thank you for agreeing to this interview. I’m sure your South African readers are as excited as I am!

LM: Thank you , and you’re welcome!

I have written some Questions below. You don’t have to answer all of them and you can add more Questions if you like. Please take your time, there’s no deadline. I’m just so happy I’m getting the chance to talk to you. Authors are the Hollywood stars in a reader’s life; it’s like meeting Angelina Jolie just so much better.

LM: Aw, thanks. :)

 ***

To begin with why don’t you tell us a little about yourself – where were you born? Raised? Schooled? Etc. 


LM: I was born and raised in Florida. I studied classical dance in college and later attended culinary school.


What inspired you to start writing?


LM: I started writing poetry when I was nine years old. Short stories and novels followed. Writing is my first love.


You write Urban Fantasy. What do you love the most about this Genre? 


LM: Reading and writing for me is all about imagination and urban fantasy gives me a super wide scope to play with. There really aren’t many rules I have to adhere to and I love that.


If your book could be a movie. What Actor/Actress would you love to see play the role of Layla and Max?


LM: Um … hm. That’s a hard one. There are some great choices. I’m not sure.


Do you have a favorite Quote or passage you would be happy to share with us? It doesn’t need to be deep but something that meant a great deal to you.


LM: I am such a quote junkie. I love quotes and there are a lot of writer’s quotes that inspire me. Neil Gaiman writes some of my favorites, but my ultimate favorite quote is:

“Occasionally, there arises a writing situation where you see an alternative to what you are doing, a mad, wild gamble of a way for handling something, which may leave you looking stupid, ridiculous or brilliant -you just don’t know which. You can play it safe there, too, and proceed along the route you’d mapped out for yourself. Or you can trust your personal demon who delivered that crazy idea in the first place.
Trust your demon.”
― Roger Zelazny


They say that a part of the writer leaks into their story. Which character can you relate to and why?


LM: All of my characters are an extension of me. The good, the bad, the sarcastic, and on and on. I think when stories are born from a writer’s imagination, we are definitely leaking parts of ourselves all over the place.


What other Hobbies do you have if you’re not busy writing? 


LM: I run. I read a lot. I edit other writer’s stories.


Who are your biggest Hero and Why? 


LM: My biggest heroes are my mom and my grandmother, the wisest, funniest women I’ve ever known.


If you could go anywhere, where would you go and why?


LM: I’m going to Ireland next year. It’s been on my list for a long time. My ancestors are from Ireland so it has a big place in my heart.


We all wanted to be someone or something extraordinary when we grew up. What or who did you want to do or be when you grew up?


LM: That’s an interesting question because it has an interesting answer. I wanted to be a writer. I wanted to write novels. But when I was young I thought only ‘authors’ wrote novels. It’s always been my dream. I’m living the dream now, you could say.


What do you hope people take away with them after they have read your work?


LM: I guess I hope readers resonate with my stories. That the characters stay with them after they’ve put the books down and touched them in some way.


Whom do you admire the most in the realm of writing and why?


LM: Anne Rice is my all-time favorite author. Her stories are rich in history, mythology, theology, and imagination and she has a way of pulling you into her character’s lives. She’s amazing.


Many Artists set themselves very ambitious goals. What are yours?


LM: I hit my goal for 2015. I have two novels publishing this year, TRUE being one of them, CRYSTALLUM being the second, as well as two short stories. Next year I have three books planned. Ultimately my goals are within what I can see, if that makes sense. I plan the next book and then the next one. :)


What advice would you give your younger self as an aspiring writer?


LM: Write. Keep writing. Follow your heart. Be patient. Write what speaks to you, not what you think will sell. Write some more, and some more. This really is a hard industry and you have to love writing first and foremost.


First of all congratulation on your new book that is scheduled to be released this September! Tell us a little more about True and what your Fans can expect.


LM: Thank you. I have to say I’m sad that this is the end of the trilogy. I’ve loved writing the Fire Born Novels so much. TRUE, the last book, is wrapping up the series and will follow Layla and Max all the way until the end, wherever the end may lead. :)


Thank you so very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview. It’s very much appreciated.

LM: Thanks so much for hosting me on the blog.

***

It was so nice to meet Laney, She a very talented YA writer so if you haven’t read her books yet drop what you’re doing and buy her awesome, captivating and intriguing novels. (You won’t regret it.)



Visit the Author Here ↓

Laney McMann
Writer of Young Adult Dark Fantasy/Paranormal



Get the Books Here ↓

Tied by Laney McMann




“The author has taken a unique concept and created a brilliantly written story. One of my new favorite fantasy books.”
 – The Reading Diaries.

“I was so engrossed in this story that real life went on without me being aware of it.”
 – Crazy Four Books.



Torn by Laney McMann




“I couldn’t put this one down and I didn’t want to. It’s amazing. I want more. So much more.” – Happy Tales and Tails Blog.

“Torn grabs you by the throat and holds on… the book is real thrill that carries you through an entire spectrum of emotions and leaves you right on the eve of something monstrous. Yes, yes, pun fully intended. Because the talons really come out in this one.”
 – Alexander Nader


Upcoming Releases.



True (Book #3 in the Fire Born Trilogy.) - Coming Fall 2015
Crystallum (Book #1) – Coming Fall 2015
Astral (Asylum Short Stories.) - Coming Fall 2015