Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Secret Fire by CJ Daugherty & Carina Rozenfeld

The Secret Fire by CJ Daugherty & Carina Rozenfeld

Rating: 4/5
Released Date: 3rd September 2015
Pages: 357
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Publisher:  Bookouture
Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley.

“Looking at it directly was like staring into the sun.”

Have you ever read a book that gave you Goosebumps? This book made my skin look like a freshly plucked chicken. I truly hope with all my heart I don’t have to wait forever to read the sequel.

The Writing Style. (4/5)

The Secret Fire was written by two beautiful ladies. Carina Rozenfeld is French and she did an amazing job co-writing. The story is written in 3rd person with two POVs and occasionally another. The chapters wasn’t named according to their character but it was easy to catch on who is who. Overall they did a great job and I found the read exceptional.

The World. (3/5)

“Woodbury was a typical English town with lots of old stone and brick buildings, winding streets and little churches. A narrow river ran through the middle, flanked by leafy parks. It was pretty, she supposed, but she’d grown up here. To her it was just… home.”

So there wasn’t really anything extraordinary about the world. It was modern (Except for the old age curse, alchemists and plenty old books) One scene is based in Paris and the other in England.  That’s basically it. 

The Plot. (4/5)

Brought together, Taylor and Sacha might have the power to unravel an old family curse. Time is slowly running out, if they fail one will die.

I loved The Secret Fire’s plot it was thrilling, captivating and somewhat horrifying.

The Characters (4/5)

Taylor.

Taylor is a straight A student, volunteer and studying maniac.  I would say she’s a bit uncertain about herself and very insecure. She wants to study at Oxford and when her French teacher gives her the opportunity to tutor a French boy in English, well she had no choice. (He was kind of threating her future there for a moment. Shame on you Mister Finlay.)

It was quite a mission to get Sacha to co-operate and she nearly send him to hell a few times but eventually he set his stubbornness aside. They both felt a connection (No, It’s not an Insta-love thing.) Taylor began to get headaches and she thought that something was seriously wrong with her.(Well surprise, surprise.) it’s not until she broke up with Tom (that was really a breakup gone tremendously wrong.) that she had a glimpse of her true self. (Who-ooh)

Overall, I actually loved Taylor’s character. She was strong when she needed to be and in the end she amaze everyone.

Sacha.

“There are things you don’t know about my family. It’s… complicated.’ He took a deep breath. ‘Taylor, I think I’m in trouble. And I think you’re in trouble, too. I don’t believe it was a coincidence we were assigned to work together. Someone wanted us to find each other. I just don’t know why.”

The first time I met Sacha, he baffled me. (I almost threw the book against the wall, thinking I’m about to read a weird vampire/immortal mash-up.) He caught my attention in a vice grip and had me speculating like a mad woman.

Onwards!

Sacha can’t die period, like faith is playing a cruel joke, they are saving him for a special occasion – his 18th birthday. (Bummer.) He lives on the edge, dies numerous times and outrages his mother. He is the typical, but hot, bad French boy. (Even his attitude is bad.) He, like Taylor, feels a connection toward her.  After some creepy men shows up at his door telling him to “stay away from the girl”, well everything goes downhill from there. He only has 8 weeks until his 18th birthday.

The Smaller Things.

I really want to spill my guts on this read but you just have to read it yourself to learn it’s little secrets and I mean it.

Buy it . . . (*Creepy Fangirl Voice.)

The story has a cliffhanger (Jip, you have to buy book 2) but luckily you can subscribe to a newsletter and get updates via email as soon as book 2 is live.

Get the Book Here ↓

Amazon

Visit the Authors Here ↓

C.J. Daugherty

Carina Rozenfeld