Sunday, November 29, 2015

Laney McMann on Crystallum



Crystallum is the first book in the Primordial Principles series, and it’s one of those books that caught me by surprise. I hadn’t planned on writing it—it wasn’t even in my train of thought, but after I finished the second book in my Fire Born Novels trilogy, TORN, I was kind of wiped out. The Fire Born are emotional books, and I remember thinking I needed to write something a little bit lighter to clear my head so I would be ready to tackle the last book in the trilogy, TRUE. And true to form, like all of my stories, a plot idea sparked my imagination and Crystallum was born.

What surprised me most about writing this story is how quickly it came. I wrote it in three months. All 110 thousand words. That’s good for me—I’m not a fast writer. Crystallum is the longest book I’ve written so far and it was the fastest to complete. I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of other worlds, and something much bigger than we are, unseen, but felt, working behind the scenes. I fell in love with the story and pulled more than one 10 hour day writing. Cole had me on the edge of my seat most of the time, and soon after, all the characters, races, and creatures emerged, one after the other, full of life and asking to be written. The entire world fleshed out in a matter of days.

It wasn’t until a month or so after the book was completed that I decided I wanted to try to get it contracted and published. At the time, the Fire Born Novels were my focus. I’d taken the break I needed from them, ready to begin the final book in the trilogy, but Crystallum refused to lay low. Cole simply refused to shut up.

The rest is history, as they say. I wrote the final book in the Fire Born trilogy while querying Crystallum at the same time. The book got contracted, and I ended up releasing two novels back to back, one in September and one in November, which was insane, by the way, but worth every minute.

I’m looking forward to giving my full focus to the Primordial Principles, and the second book in the series, which will be out in 2016, and that’s a good thing because the story is kicking my butt. Cole likes to fight, and I’m happy to oblige him. :)


Come Join the fun on Facebook this Monday!