Saturday, October 24, 2015

Shattered Blue by Lauren Horowitz

Shattered Blue by Lauren Horowitz

Rating: 4.5 / 5
Released Date:  15 Sep 2015
Pages:336
Genre: Urban Fantasy, YA
Publisher:  Skyscape and Two Lions
Source:  I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Skyscape and Two lions and Netgalley.

“Fine, your obsession-with-fairy-tales sense. You read too many books, woman. You need to be forced into pre-pre-premed like me. Wha-pash! Crack the whip!”

*Warning Mild Spoiler Alert*

I, for one, actually liked this read a lot! This was a fresh and fun and new approach to the many Fae books that I’ve read and I enjoyed it immensely. (High five to the Author.)

This was beyond innovative creativity and I am going to jump the gun and Recommend it as your next read.

The Writing Style. (4/5)

This was written in third person and the only problem I really had was the fact that suddenly stuff was happening, other than that, it was well written and planned. I loved the way Shattered blue provoke some emotions. You could feel their pain, their struggles and their loss. The scenery was well described and I was lost in my travels.

The World. (4/5)

The world is plain except there’s another realm. I love parallel universes and honestly after reading that ending, I can’t wait to travel to Aurora.  Everything happens in this realm (aka the human world.) and we get glimpses of Aurora but not enough to spoil the next installment. (Which I can’t talk about. . .Nope have to read it yourself.)

*I seriously need to keep this review spoiler free so if you don’t want to know the rest please skip this part and move on to the plot. *

Aurora uses the Human realm to banish their people as a punishment. The Fae are color coded and I loved this, overall there are 4 types of Fae and they all have different abilities. These Abilities is fed by light and in Aurora there are an abundance of light but in the human world there are only light in mortals and in order to obtain this light they take away their future happiness. (That Kind of sucks, if you ask me)
In Aurora there’s a civil war going on and what I could gather, it’s freaken horrible but you have to read it to believe it and I am not going to do all the work here folks.

The Plot. (5/5)

This plot had more twist and turns than a mountain pass, should that mountain be Everest. I did not expect that at all! So in order to preserve it’s secret here’s a blurb instead.

For Noa and Callum, being together is dangerous, even deadly. From the start, sixteen-year-old Noa senses that the mysterious transfer student to her Monterey boarding school is different. Callum unnerves and intrigues her, and even as she struggles through family tragedy, she’s irresistibly drawn to him. Soon they are bound by his deepest secret: Callum is Fae, banished from another world after a loss hauntingly similar to her own.
But in Noa’s world, Callum needs a special human energy, Light, to survive; his body steals it through touch—or a kiss. And Callum’s not the only Fae on the hunt. When Callum is taken, Noa must decide: Will she sacrifice everything to save him? Even if it means learning their love may not be what she thought?

The Characters. (5/5)

Noa

I felt really sorry for Noa. She lost her twin sister in an accident that made my heart contract in sadness. When she lost Isla, she lost a part of her mother and her dad. She is just such a strong female character who puts everyone before her. I adored her.

Callum

Callum was the strange, beautiful, new boy who saved his bother by covering for him and being banished from Aurora by his wicked father. Callum was an interesting character but he placed his life and those around him endanger even when he didn’t truly mean too.  He had a lot of secrets and boy, was I surprised!

Judah

Judah is the bad, younger brother with mountains of guilt on his shoulders. I did not like him very much but when you start to understand him, you can’t help but feel sorry for him.

Others

Olivia is just awesome and so is Miles. I enjoyed every character in this story including the bad ones.

The smaller things.

I loved this cover and more so, its contents. I recommend this book to anyone who loves Fantasy, YA, Fae and parallel universes.

Visit the Author Here ↓

Lauren Horowitz

Get the Book Here ↓

Amazon
Book Depository