Thursday, September 17, 2015

Undertow by K. R. Conway

Undertow by K. R. Conway

Rating: 4.5 / 5
Released Date: 12th January 2014
Pages: 390
Genre: Paranormal, Romance,  YA
Publisher: Wicked Whale Publishing
Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Patchwork Press - Cooperative and Netgalley.

"While his eyes may have changed,  I believed his heart to be true. I trusted him. It was that simple."

When I started to read Undertow, I was crossing tumbs and toes and shouting at my kindle: "Please don't be a vampire book, PLEASE!!!"

And. . .

"I noted that he never sparkled nor fried in the sun, so I scratched "Vampire" off the insane list of possibilities for Raef. . ."

Can you imagine the relief I felt? (Oh come on, since twilight is suuuch a big thing, Vampires is too much to handle lately.)

Although, I have to be honest about one thing, the Mortis (Which I will explain. ) did feel a lot vampire-ish.

Let me point some things our here↓

1. Eye color changes.
2. Super speed and strength.
3. Blood is one way to feed.
4. Healing is no problem at all. (I can jab one of them with a broken leg of a chair and wham! Some blood and he'll be just fine.)
5. Immortality!

I think I covered everything. . . So, do you get my point? Do you?

Onwards! 

The Writing Style. (5/5)

Undertow was written in First person and there was only one POV. If I could explain (Could) how my emotions was provoked during this read, it will probably be the understatement of the year. The Author did one amazing job. You became a part of Eila's story (Nope, that doesn't do it justice. ) YOU became Eila.

I loved this!

The World. (4/5)

There's a hidden world amongst the ordinary and to be honest,  I will never go swimming in Cape Cod. (NEVER)

There are 3 species in this book.

The Mortis, which are the soul sucking vampires and then there are the Lunaterra, the Mortis' worst nightmare.  (Think of it like a Ying Yang effect.) Lastly,  the humans who is just the food supply.

The Mortis is a disease caused by a fallen Angel who wanted to build his own army and the Lunaterra is descendents of an Archangel, who wanted to stop the Fallen one.

Overall, the world was pretty exciting to say the least.

The Plot. (4/5)

Here's a quick synopsis provided by Amazon (Yes because I'm lazy but don't worry, I'll tell you what I think.)

★Seventeen-year-old Eila Walker’s new home has defied the brutal Atlantic for over 160 years. Abandoned since her 4th great grandmother Elizabeth vanished, the town legend declares that she drowned . . . or was struck by lightning. Unbeknownst to the town and Eila, however, is that someone does know what really happened to Elizabeth, and he has returned, determined to protect the last surviving Walker from a history of violence. But what starts out as a quest for redemption, evolves into something more and soon young guardian, Raef, is forced to reveal the truth to Eila. As hidden secrets about their warring families come to light, Eila begins to realize that she may be their best shot at survival, even if it means following in her grandmother’s fearless footsteps to save her killer bodyguard.★

The plot was amazing. It kept you on your toes and well it was amazing! 

The Characters. (5/5)

Eila Walker.

I loved Eila and felt really connected with her. Eila is the last of her kind. When she gets a home for free, she had no idea who or what she was. After a bad beach party, Eila had no choice but to accept her fate and her history.

Eila is a strong character and free spirited. Nothing can crush her soul if she doesn't let it.

Raef Paris.

(Wait a minute, I just want to wipe the drool from my chin.) This was one sexy 160 year old man. In the beginning, I had my doubts and wanted Eila to stay AWAY but in the end he actually cared so deeply about Eila's well being and I couldn't get enough of him.

I might as well just go ahead and tell you, that I did not expect him to be what he was. That was a shocker!

But still he was the strong, swoon-worthy hero that melt my heart alongside Eila's.

Others.

I loved the other characters aswell and it wouldn't be the magnificent story that it is with out them.

The Smaller Things.

This is a Forbidden Love type of story but what the hell ever, the passion between Eila and Raef was intoxicating!

I would recommend this to everyone especially if you love romance and the paranormal.

Get the Book Here ↓

Amazon

Visit the Author Here ↓

Kate Conway